Compostable Trash Bags
Compostable bags can simplify the organics recycling process, help keep the appropriate bins cleaner and reduce odors emanating from the bins. Compostable bags degrade to humus (the organic component of soil, formed by the decomposition of leaves and other plant material by soil microorganisms), CO2 and water within 180 days when placed in a standard compost pile.
Simply dispose of your organic waste in a compostable bag and place the bag in your organics recycling bin within three days (an especially important step when disposing of high acidic/alkaline organic waste).
Organics Recycling Best Practices
- Keep organic waste recycling carts in their intended locations. Carts will not be serviced in areas where they are not assigned. If you find a cart has been moved, please email LagunaWoods-Recycles@CRRMail.com.
- Use compostable bags (preferred), paper bags or newspaper to dispose of organic waste. Plastic bags are not accepted. Find various compostable bags at Amazon.com, HomeDepot.com or Walmart.com.
- Close the lid to the organics carts completely after use to prevent rodent access.
- Consider storing your organics in the freezer and disposing on Thursday, right before the Friday pickup, to minimize odors.
- Call Resident Services at 949-597-4600 to schedule a Friday clippings/prunings pickup rather than disposing of them in organics recycling carts, ensuring everyone can participate in the recycling program.
- Visit bit.ly/3NoVmrB to access an interactive or a printable map and locate your nearest organics cart.
Please email CR&R at LagunaWoods-Recycles@CRRmail.com or call 949-625-6735 with trash, recycling and organics recycling questions, concerns or requests.
For more Village news, click on the tag “What’s Up in the Village” below.