In the Event of Disaster
The Golden Rain Foundation appointed a volunteer group of resident animal lovers to serve in a Disaster Preparedness Task Force (DPTF) subcommittee and create a disaster preparedness plan for Village pets.
According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA):
- When disaster strikes, most animal deaths occur within the first 24 to 48 hours.
- During the New Orleans Katrina hurricane in 2005, 80% to 85% of pets were never reunited with their owners because the owners and the city were not prepared to deal with pets.
If we should experience a disaster, we don’t want to experience similar results!
In order for us to properly prepare, we first need to know how many pets, what kind of pets and where the pets live in the Village. Please complete and return the survey by doing the following:
- Click here to download the online survey form.
- Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org if possible.
- Print, complete and mail the form 24351 El Toro Road, Laguna Woods, CA 92637, Attn: Pet Survey.
- Call VMS Security at 949-268-2356 if you are unable to do any of the above. We will ensure you receive a paper copy of the survey.
Action Needed: Surveys Returned Prior to November
In September 2020, DPTF first asked all residents with pets to complete and return this same survey, and we’re grateful to those who did. Unfortunately, DPTF is unable to retrieve your survey if you emailed it prior to November 2020. DPTF currently has fewer than 100 completed surveys on file. If you previously completed and emailed a survey, but aren’t sure when exactly, please complete and email a new survey. We would prefer to receive two surveys from you rather than none at all!
For more Village news, click on the tag “What’s Up in the Village” below.