Connect with a Phone Buddy
For residents struggling with feelings of anxiety and loneliness due to COVID-19 and would like to hear a friendly voice on the phone, the Social Services Division of Laguna Woods Village has adapted its Friendly Visitor Program to help. The program matches compassionate residents who have completed training with those seeking a phone companion. Together, the two will talk on a regular basis, helping to establish a bond as well as a greater sense of security.
The program is looking for both participants (those wanting to receive calls) and volunteers.
Friendly Visitor Phone Buddy volunteers must:
- Be a Village resident
- Be able to create a sense of trust, rapport and sensitivity toward fellow residents
- Demonstrate strong communication skills
- Complete training (virtually or on the phone)
- Agree to a background check
- Commit to making weekly calls with matched participant
For more Village news, click on the tag “What’s Up in the Village” below.