Library Volunteers Honored, Achievements Recognized at Appreciation Celebration
On Sunday, July 21, at 4:30 p.m. in the Clubhouse 1 main dining room, Residents who give their time and energy to the Village Library gathered to enjoy fun, fellowship and food as they were recognized for their service during the 2019 Volunteer Appreciation Party.
During the opening social hour, attendees enjoyed wine and played “library bingo” with fellow volunteers to receive special goodie bags, and were treated to a photo slideshow and a special presentation by library President Eileen Ordway before a buffet dinner.
According to Ms. Ordway, 71 volunteers have contributed 330 years of service to the library and, over the past 12 months, have volunteered approximately 10,570 hours.
Village Library numbers in a 12-month period:
Front-desk volunteers greeted approximately 40,700 visitors:
- Checked in/out nearly 35,700 cataloged items
- Cataloged and shelved almost 16,900 paperbacks
Back-room volunteers purchased new items and process donated items:
- Purchased 480 new items
- Added 760 donated items
- Labeled and shelved countless paperbacks, magazines, music CDs, puzzles and world language books
- Publicized library events via Village Television, the Globe, book clubs, the Village website and the library bulletin board and display case
- Mended 450 DVDs and hardback books
- Discarded 1,300 cataloged items; sold/donated others
Three volunteers received special recognition for their extraordinary tenure with the library. Lillian Davis was recognized for 30 years of service, Lucy Meyer was recognized for 25 years and Shirley Lynn was recognized for 20 years.
During her slideshow presentation, Ms. Ordway stressed that while the primary goal for the library is to help patrons check out new and interesting items, those who manage it have accomplished additional goals. Achievements in 2018 and so far this year include:
- Increased revenue from paperback, bargain buy and DVD sales
- Added links to lists of DVD concert and TV series, Great American Read books and DVDs, and foreign language DVDs to the catalog
- Initiated a reserve express program and staff-picks shelves
- Secured new chairs in the reading room and other new equipment and furnishings
The library, located at 24266 Calle Aragon,offers the most recent best-sellers, paperbacks, magazines, large-print books, access to the internet through iPads and more. Open Monday through Friday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Saturdays 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesdays offer extended hours until 7 p.m.
For more information, call 949-597-4274, email email@example.com or visit the website here.
To read the latest news articles, click on the tag “What’s Up in the Village” below.