National Preparedness Month
September marks National Preparedness Month, which was founded after 9/11 to increase preparedness in the U.S. First responders understand there will be an overwhelming demand to reach people in distress following a disaster. Getting to every person quickly following an emergency is simply impossible – especially if roads are damaged and power is out. It’s imperative that Village residents take the necessary steps to prepare for emergencies. The actions we take today will lead to a stronger recovery when disaster hits home.
This year’s theme is “Disasters Don’t Plan Ahead. You can.” The Laguna Woods Village Disaster Preparedness Task Force is in full support of National Preparedness Month and encourages Village residents to take the necessary steps to be prepared in the event of a disaster.
This September, prepare and plan for any event that may cause you to go for a minimum of one week without electricity, water service, access to a supermarket or other local services. It is a time to prepare yourself, your family and your loved ones for any emergency. Just follow these three steps:
1. Get a Kit: Keep enough emergency supplies on hand for you and those in your care, including water, non-perishable food, first aid, prescriptions, flashlights and a battery-powered radio. For a complete checklist of supplies, visit the Disaster Preparedness Website by clicking here or stop by the Disaster Preparedness Office on the first floor of the Community Center.
2. Make a Plan: Discuss, agree on, and document an emergency plan with those in your care. For sample plans, see www.ReadyOC.org. Work with your family, neighbors, and Good Neighbor Building Captains to build a community network of resilience.
3. Be Informed: Information is available on the to keep you informed and ready to act. Also be alert for phone calls and emails from Village Management Services during an emergency event. You can find additional preparedness information by:
• Signing up for emergency alerts and notifications at www.AlertOC.com.
• Accessing: Laguna Woods Village Disaster Preparedness website and www.ReadyOC.org to learn what to do before, during, and after an emergency.
Find out more about National Preparedness Month at http://www.ready.gov/september.