Information Provided by the Contractors State License Board
1. Hire only state-licensed contractors.
2. Check a contractor’s license number online at www.cslb.ca.gov or by calling 800-321-CSLB (2752).
3. Get at least three bids.
4. Get three references from each bidder and review past work in person.
5. Make sure all project expectations are in writing and only sign the contract if you completely understand the terms.
6. Confirm that the contractor has workers’ compensation insurance for employees.
7. Never pay more than 10% down or $1,000, whichever is less.* Don’t pay in cash.
8. Don’t let payments get ahead of the work.
9. Keep a job file of all papers relating to your project, including all payments.
10. Don’t make the final payment until you’re satisfied with the job.
*There is an exception to this rule for about two dozen contractors who have filed a blanket performance and payment bond with the Registrar. This information is noted on the contractor’s license detail page on CSLB’s website.
Contractors State License Board
www.cslb.ca.gov • CheckTheLicenseFirst.com